Stowelink in partnership with the office of the nonresident congress for Kenyatta university conducted a masterclass on the drug free youth ON 17TH OF MARCH 2020. This masterclass involves students from Kenyatta universities and other universities who came for a training of trainer’s masterclass on refusal skills for drug abuse and how to communicate messages of drug abuse to young people. This masterclass comes in line with one of our projects The Drug Free Youths and this way we are able to continually raise a generation of the drug free youth, a generation capable of saying no to drugs and as a result reduce their chances of developing NCDS from drug use such as tobacco and alcohol.
What are Drug Refusal Skills?
Drug refusal skills refer to a person’s ability to say “no” to substance abuse. These skills include knowing how to avoid taking substances when offered and how to stay away from situations in which drugs may be abused.
Improving Refusal Skills
The importance of drug refusal makes it necessary to know smart coping methods and techniques that enhance this process. Thankfully, there are many different methods available for this purpose. And while these refusal skills techniques are suggested for teens, they can be adapted to adult situations and provide individuals with the best chance of avoiding relapses and drug abuse:
- Explain Your Refusal – Often, people will accept good reasons for refusing drugs, such as “I need to be sober tomorrow for work.”
- Stay Persistent – If people keep trying to push drugs, it is essential to remain persistent. Rudeness isn’t necessary, but persistence – and confidence – are critical.
- Use Proper Body Language – Don’t look away from somebody when refusing drugs. Instead, look them in the eye, use a firm voice, and appear as confident as possible.
- Try to Redirect the Situation – When possible, try to change the focus from drug use and to something else – this change is often possible when drug users are not addicted, yet, and want to find something to do.
- Leave the Situation – When all else fails, leaving the situation sends a powerful message to those who push drugs on others.
Let’s save lives
REMEMBER-if you want to support Stowelink Inc and our various projects, if you want collaborations with us or if you want to reach us you can reach us directly through the following contact addresses.
email : email@example.com