During my attachment period at Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching And Referral Hospital I have noted that it has a very active Gender Based Violence Recovery Center. This place is a safe haven for all those who have under gone gender based violence in one way or the other. The center works for 24 hours a day everyday and is complete with medical officers nurses ,a pharmacy ,a psychologist and even a safe room for survivors.
PREPARATIONS BEFORE THE TALK
Last Friday the team from this center visited one of the primary schools in Kisumu called Highway primary school (which is literally on the highway hehe) where we talked to students from class 6 and 7 on gender based violence issues. Well I being part of the team was so amazed at how intelligent these students were and how they seemed to ask a lot of questions and answer a lot of questions too.
MR MBECHE IN ACTION
The team lead by Mr Mbeche consisted of Pascal ,Felix ,Zanele, Stowel ,Mr Mbeche and Willkister and one other student from Maseno University ; was a diligent team which handled the sensitization quite recomendably. The teams divided into two and talked to the students at length on issues on rape and defilement.
STOWEL TAKING QUESTIONS FROM THE STUDENTS
I thought it wise to share some of the key points in the discussion so that even you, yes ,YOU when defiled or raped know exactly what to do.
1.Its not your fault that you are raped and when you are these are the DOS AND THE DON’TS and the phone address to call supposing you are within KISUMU and its environs.
1.Report to the nearest hospital immediately for:
- HIV Prevention (PEP)
- .Pregnancy prevention .
- Treatment of Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)
- Collection of evidence . Counseling
2. Report to the police and record a statement.
PASCAL IN ACTION
- DO NOT take a bath or comb your hair
- DO NOT change, wash or throw away your clothes, INSTEAD wrap IN khaki bag, clean leso or cotton and take them to the hospital.
- DO NOT remove anything where the rape occurred.
- DO NOT dispose off a condom if one was used.
- DO NOT pass urine or stool or wipe genital area. if you must pass collect some in a clean container and take it to the hospital.
MR MBECHE IN ACTION
NB//Incase you’ve been raped/defiled report to THE NEAREST hospital
Within 72hrs to prevent HIV.
Within 120hrs to prevent pregnancy
FELIX IN ACTION
- IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT THAT YOU WERE RAPED
- DO NOT FEEL GUILTY.
- DO NOT BE ASHAMED.
- DO NOT BLAME YOUR SELF.
TAKE ACTION AND REPORT TO THE NEAREST HOSPITAL!
Call 0714 138 868 for professional counseling and support
JUST AFTER CONCLUSION OF THE EVENT
HERE ARE A FEW MORE PICTURES FROM THE EVENT.
KEEP IT STOWELINK
LETS INSPIRE LIVES
LETS CHANGE LIVES