While we were at Olympic High School we discussed on what means and ways the high school students would practice in order to prevent and reduce risks of cardiovascular diseases while at school.
We came up with some solutions including the following;
Choose a healthy eating plan. The food you eat can decrease your risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Choose foods with low fats and oil content.
- Reduce salt intake.
- As part of a healthy diet, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, fiber-rich whole grains, fish , nuts, legumes and seeds and try eating some meals without meat.
- Limit sugar-sweetened beverages and red meat.
- If you choose to eat meat, select the leanest cuts available.
Be physically active.
Walk briskly to and from school everyday
- Participate in physical education sessions in school.
- Practice vigorous intensity aerobic physical activity (e.g., jogging, running) or a combination of both every week.
- Join in school sports and games
Don’t smoke and avoid secondhand smoke.
- If you picked up smoking as a teen, it’s time to quit smoking.
- Even exposure to secondhand smoke poses a serious health hazard.
- Nonsmokers are up to 30 percent more likely to develop heart disease or lung cancer from secondhand smoke exposure at home or work
Images courtesy of MyHeart Ke visit to Olympic High School
Lets change lives
Let’s save lives
REMEMBER-if you want to support Stowelink Inc and our various projects, if you want collaborations with us or if you want to reach us you can reach us directly through the following contact addresses.
EMAIL ADDRESS firstname.lastname@example.org